Three Aussie events called off
By ALAN THATCHER – Squash Mad Editor
The Professional Squash Association (PSA) have extended the suspension of the World Tour because of the global COVID-19 pandemic.
After yesterday’s report that the Oracle NetSuite Open in San Francisco had been cancelled, the PSA today confirmed that all World Tour, Challenger Tour, plus WSF and PSA Satellite Tour events, originally planned to take place in July and at the start of August have been postponed.
Several of the tournaments to fall were still listed yesterday on the PSA calendar, with promoters hoping that restrictions might be lifted in time to go ahead with the events.
However, travel restrictions and safe-distancing guidelines may still apply, plus the problems of squash being rated as a high-risk activity delaying a full return to normal playing.
Three of the postponed events are in Australia, although the Kia Australian Open is still scheduled to go ahead in Bega from August 26-30.
A PSA statement said: “The PSA Tour has been on hold since March 13, and following regular communication with tournament organisers and players, and with the health and safety of all players, promoters, fans and tournament staff in mind, the decision has been made to extend the suspension until mid-August.
“The suspension will be extended until August 16 and the PSA will continue to review the situation over the coming weeks.”
The following is a list of affected tournaments:
Victoria Open in Melbourne, Australia
HCL SRFI Indian Tour – Noida Leg in Greater Noida, India
City of Greater Shepparton International in Shepparton, Australia
Kingston City Council Melbourne Open in Melbourne, Australia
“There are a number of uncertainties surrounding international travel, social distancing guidelines and potential quarantine measures for players and staff travelling internationally, which means that resuming the tour in the next six to eight weeks isn’t feasible at present,” said PSA Tour Director Hannah Ridgard-Mason.
“This is a difficult, but necessary, decision and we are naturally disappointed that we are not yet in a position to resume the PSA Tour following this global pandemic.
“However, the health and safety of all of our players and everyone involved in running an event is paramount. We continue to explore all available options as we look to outline a roadmap for the return of professional squash.”
Picture courtesy of Melior Sports