Sunday, April 14, 2024

Save Our Squash! Campaign stops court closures

 

JUBILANT squash campaigners are celebrating a reprieve after proposals to convert two squash courts at the Two Riversmeet Leisure Centre was withdrawn at the 11th hour.

The proposal was due to go before Christchurch Borough Council’s community services committee last week but was withdrawn due to concerns about finances.

Squash players at the centre planned to attend the meeting and had written to councillors in protest after the plan to convert one or two courts was resurrected.

In 2010, a proposal was made to convert two of the courts into multi-function facilities but was delayed to allow time for the development of the sport to take place.

Since then, squash coach Charlie Campbell-Wynter and other supporters have worked tirelessly to try and revive participation, encouraging schools to take part and promoting the sport outside of the centre at events in the town.

At the meeting on Wednesday, Cllr Sally Derham-Wilkes said: “The council and we as members have received a petition and emails in support of converting a squash court into a multi-purpose accommodation and emails and letters against the possible conversion.

“It is consequently something that the council may consider again in the future should circumstances change.

Nick Jenkins, one of the regular squash players said: “We’re delighted with this decision.

“We thought we would have a bit of a fight on our hands but we will be keeping an eye on this for the future.”

 

Read more

Latest News